Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Button pushers
MaxZ

Re: Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Post by MaxZ »

Thanks again Mike for your explanation. I had missed the fact that there is no throttle control in Sequential, other than by means of the timer.

The reason why I am having this kind of questions now is that I have installed the DIP switches in a way that is convenient to me, and I wanted to change your settings table so the columns matched the switch numbers (basically just mirror them, but maintaining the column number = Config variable number relation with the code).
In doing so, my excel sheet has been growing into a kind of shorthand manual, so these kind of questions come up now and then.

As you can see, I still missing the beeper, reason why it is difficult to completely test all features. I guess I could hook it up to Phil's pulse analyser that I built recently.....

Cheers,
Max.
Schermafbeelding 2019-05-05 om 10.46.14.png
Last edited by MaxZ on 05 May 2019, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Max

Phil will be smiling as he suggested that I change the header order, just like you have it. OK Phil, you were right and I was wrong :lol:
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Mike,

Well I guess you can argue about that, but the basic cause is that we write binary numbers from right to left with the lowest bit on the right (and decimal numbers too for that matter), and common text from left to right, including series like 1,2,3. :shock: :D

And another thing you could argue about is your use of "1"'s and "0"'s in the table, while in fact placing a jumber connects that input to 0V, so in fact a "1" is a logic 0 :? ;) :P

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi all,

I started some "dry exercise" to get familiar with the controls. I hooked the S/C Tx up to my MPX tranny as a "student", and watched the servo movements on the servo monitor.

Something odd showed up. When I pushed the button 3 times for elevator kick-up, the rudder reacts as well as it moves to the left by about 10%. I then hooked up the ppm output to the pulse analyser, which confirmed this.
Rudder mid position is normally 1498 us, during kickup it changes to 1448 us. I cannot imagine that this is intentional (or is it?), so what is going on?

Cheers,
Max.
F2B

Post by F2B »

Well, in mine (which is cobbled together from Phil's and Frank's examples plus some of my own) it is the way it is.
Mimicking the behaviour of a two function escapement, that always swings full circle befor coming to a rest.
It has stops at 90, 270 and ~355 deg.
Holding the button between 10 and 90 deg makes it stop at 90, holding between 90 and 270 stops it at 270 and holding it past 270 makes it stop at 355 and switches the kick up.
Don't forget the max. travel for bang bang is less than for proportional, or else you'll be flying upside down any time you'd hit the button.... :mrgreen:
Hence, this little bit of left rudder won't do very much, also because one doesn't hold kick up for a long time ( I hope... :twisted: ;) )
F2B or not to be....
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

OK Bruno, so you are saying it is intentional. I have been reading through the code (not saying I understand much of it), and I was getting that impression already. Maybe you should bring a working example of a compound escapement to our next get-together (Garderen?) so I can see the workings live and understand it better :D

And don't worry, I have been imitating bang bang on my proportional set just for fun, and I got the message about throws loud and clear.

Cheers,
Max.
Last edited by MaxZ on 07 May 2019, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Max,
indeed it is intentional, the escapements in the old days worked the same way. When you used kick-up elevator, the rudder always made a full circle and stopped at about 355.
So everything you observed is correct and intended.
I have meanwhile hundereds of flights on S/C, belive me, you will hardly notice that behavior.
I am sure, you will have tons of fun using it. (at least I do).
Cheers
Frank
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun describes the operation of kick-up elevator and blip throttle very nicely on YouTube

Mike

ps, I can't get youtube to embed. Anybody any ideas?
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Mike,

Embedding the video worked fine, no worries. And at least I understand now that there were two escapements involved. I still don't quite understand the workings of those, but it does not matter, I did get the answer about the 10% rudder offset during kick-up elevator, which is also evident in the video.

I made a socket for a teacher-student connection to my regular proportional set, as an interchangeable unit to replace the 2,4 gHz module, so I will have a backup when things go pear shaped during practise. :o

Cheers,
Max.
Attachments
DSC03873.JPG
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Another brilliant idea Max,

How do you manage to make those holes so neat especially covering them with solorfilm?

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire